The first type of treatment your doctor will offer you is likely to be an antihistamine, but its continuous and prolonged use could affect pregnancy adversely leading to premature birth or low-birth babies.
However, dietary changes can go a long way in relieving morning sickness. If you are feeling sick, it can be difficult to get all the fluid and nutrition that you need. Be careful in selecting food and drink that can help with nausea during pregnancy. Here are some tips and remedies to calm morning sickness:
Morning sickness can be a troublesome and tiresome, but there are several tips and remedies that can help alleviate the symptoms. Here are some recommendations:
- Choose foods carefully – Eat small, frequent meals as an empty stomach tends to trigger nausea. Try eating every 1 to 2 hours. Find foods that work for you. Don’t eat anything that you suspect will make you nauseous. In general, high-carbohydrate meals with rice, wheat, millet, corn, potato, banana is well tolerated.
- Drink for two – Drink as much as you can manage. Lemon drinks helps in relieving the feeling of nausea and morning sickness. The presence of vitamin C makes it refreshing and helps in curing morning sickness. Ginger is another common natural remedy to manage morning sickness. Try having cup of ginger with warm water to soothe your stomach. There are also assorted herbal teas that could do wonders.
- Get enough rest – Just lie down, shut your eyes. According to some people, sleep is one of the best ways to beat morning sickness. The trick is to do all that you can to keep your body and mind calm and relaxed.
- Wear comfortable clothes – Mothers-to-be frequently forget that they, too, require attention and comfort. If you are pregnant, comfort should be at the top of your priority list. So, what clothes should you wear when pregnant? Avoid tight belts, bras, skirts and slacks. Clothes that decrease circulation in the legs lead to varicose (enlarged) veins.
- Surround yourself with pleasant aromas – Use essential oil scents like lemon, orange, peppermint, camomile that will soothe nerves.
- Keep yourself busy – You can read a book, solve puzzles, watch movies, and take up some stitching or knitting or pencil drawing. All these are relaxing techniques. Avoid the use of colours as the smell of paints may irritate your senses.
These remedies can help alleviate the symptoms of morning sickness, such as nausea and vomiting, and make you feel more comfortable during pregnancy.